A Place for Everyone
June 8, 2020
On Saturday, June 6, three peaceful protests took place taking a stand against racial injustice and institutional racism. The recent murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and countless others across the country have called us to reaffirm what we hope you know to be true, that Downtown Evansville is working to truly be a place for everyone. We stand with all those, locally and around the world, who are speaking out against the violence and prejudice experienced by members of the Black community in our country. While we work to battle rumors and misinformation, we at the Downtown Evansville Economic Improvement District (EID) want to share our thoughts on our neighborhood, the Central Business District of Downtown Evansville.
Our Mission and Values lead us to speak –
Our Mission: The DOWNTOWN EVANSVILLE – Economic Improvement District builds a more active and inclusive Downtown Evansville. We enhance resident, consumer, investor, worker, and visitor experiences in Downtown Evansville.
Our Values: We act honestly and with transparency towards our property-owners, stakeholders, and the broader community. We value everyone who is in our neighborhood. We choose quality over quantity; good design matters to us. We respect history and our historic buildings, while looking towards the future. We develop our people to be community leaders.
We are a resilient neighborhood, which continues to care for its own, as well as one that drives individual, family, organizational, city-wide, and regional growth, prosperity, and development.
So where are we today, as an organization?
We value people – equally and uniquely. We hear you. We see you.
For two centuries Downtown Evansville has been a place for people to come together, particularly in times of immense emotion and pain. We know that Downtown has not always been a place for everyone, but in the three years the EID has served the neighborhood we have tried to create a more welcoming, diverse, verdant, and prosperous community, and we are not stopping now.
With our commitment to be a place for everyone, please know we are here to serve you in the following ways:
- If you are looking to open a business in, or have any general concerns about Downtown Evansville, contact us: [email protected]
- If you would like to host an event in Downtown Evansville and need guidance or assistance, contact us: [email protected]
- If you would you like to develop real estate in the heart of Evansville and need to understand how to do that, contact us: [email protected]
- For questions about how you can become involved, contact us: [email protected]
- To learn more about our work, our team, our finances, and our governance visit DowntownEvansville.com
- To find apartments, employment opportunities, information about events, and to learn more about our businesses from bakeries to banks to realtors visit DowntownEvansville.com
We are honored to be the place where people come together to talk about differences and unify to build a better future. On Tuesday, George Floyd’s six-year-old daughter Gianna said: “Daddy changed the world.” We are looking forward to that world, where all our neighbors, friends and families feel safe and welcome. We see this time as an opportunity to move our neighborhood forward, to create the kind of place that all people want to be in. And if an inclusive, diverse, and vibrant neighborhood is what you want to see, come, and join us on this journey.
It is our honor to serve Downtown Evansville and our community. We look forward to seeing you soon.
The Downtown Evansville Team